Admission to PhD in the area of Experimental Condensed Matter Physics in Dept. of Physics, RKMVERI – 2023
Applications are invited from motivated and eligible candidates for PhD programme in Physics to work on problems of Experimental Condensed Matter Physics in the Department of Physics at Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute (Deemed University) at the Belur Main Campus under the guidance of the following supervisor/mentor:
Name of the supervisor/mentor:
- Dr. Amitava Bhattacharyya, Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, RKMVERI. (check his publications here)
- Prof. Sindhunil Roy, Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics, RKMVERI.
- The applicant should have a good academic record throughout, with at least 60% marks in both B.Sc. (Physics Major/Hons.) and M.Sc. (Physics) examinations from any recognized University or Institute of the country. SC/ST candidates will enjoy a 5% concession in the minimum eligibility of marks.
Age limit: Below 28 years on the date of application.
- The applicant must have either qualified in CSIR-UGC NET(JRF) /GATE /JEST /equivalent national level examination with Research Fellowship allowing entry into PhD or must have the DST-INSPIRE fellowship.
Focus: Exploring the unique properties of quantum materials for energy technologies.
Key Areas of Study:
- Investigating the pairing symmetry and superconducting gap structure of unconventional superconductors.
- Analyzing the spin-triplet state in A2Cr3As3 (A = K, Cs, Rb) compounds.
- Understanding the implications of odd-parity superconductors in terms of topology and potential applications in topological quantum computing.
- Crystal Growth and Structural Study:
- Grow quantum materials crystals.
- Study the structural aspects of chemically tuned high temperature and unconventional superconductors.
- Characterization Techniques:
- Use resistivity, magnetization, and heat capacity for characterization.
- Participate in X-ray scattering, Neutron Scattering, and Muon Spin Relaxation experiments at renowned research institutes including:
- German Electron Synchrotron DESY
- Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Oxford
- Paul Scherrer Institute, Switzerland
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai
- Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore.
Benefits of Joining the Project:
- Gain hands-on experience in:
- Crystal growth of quantum materials.
- Basic characterization techniques including resistivity, magnetism, and heat-capacity investigations.
- Collaborate globally with:
- Renowned professionals in experimental and theoretical condensed-matter physics.
- New applicants have to first register on the portal, then login and fill up the online application form.
- Online Admission Portal : https://isr.rkmvu.ac.in/admission
- After successfully submitting the application form, pay the Application fee (INR 500.00) online from the same Portal.
- While filling up the online application-form attach the scanned copies of your passport size photo, mark-sheets and other applicable certificates/documents.
- Once Application-form is successfully submitted and application-fee is paid, Receipt (also Application-summary) will be available for download from the same Portal from the ‘Dashboard‘.
Last Date to apply: 3rd September 2023
Fees structure is given on the page: PhD Fee Structure
For the applicants who are selected for admission; admission-procedure is given on this page: Admission Instructions
Note: The applicant needs to complete the admission within 10 days from the date the applicant is informed about “his/her selection” and the admission procedure.
For more insights and information, reach out to Dr. Bhattacharyya at