Admissions PhD programme in Physics for Academic Year 2023-24
Department of Physics, RKMVERI, Belur Main Campus is inviting applications for admission to PhD programme in Physics.
- Admission notice updated on 11 May 2023.
- Applications are continuously accepted. They will be reviewed as per the convenience of the faculty-members.
Areas of Research:
- Experimental Condensed Matter Physics and Nano-structure Material Sciences
- PhD Project 1: Layered Oxide Materials with Quantum Spin Liquid States
- PhD Project 2: Exotic Properties of Novel Quantum Materials, such as High Temperature Superconductivity
Note: The required number of students is two, with one student assigned to each project. Students will have the chance to work with internationally renowned laboratory facilities such as the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxford and the Paul Scherrer Institute in Switzerland. Please visit the following website for more information on the research work and international collaboration: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?hl=en&user=lncu_rcAAAAJ
- Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics: Various aspects of ergodicity violations in quantum systems using numerical techniques such as Exact Diagonalization.
Note: Candidates are expected to be familiar with basic and advanced condensed matter physics at the Master’s level and have a strong inclination towards numerical computation.
- Theoretical High Energy Physics: Aspects of Quantum Gravity: Formal aspects and physical implications of quantisation of systems living in some model quantum spacetimes. Formulation of gauge theories in the framework of Noncommutative Geometry and physics of Standard model and beyond.
- Particle Physics and Phenomenology: Study of physics of the Standard Model and beyond, Collider Physics.
- Physics of Brain Organization: Investigates the physical organization principles of brain structure and functions in health and how these organization principles change in different diseases using cutting-edge brain imaging technologies and novel signal modeling approaches. Interested candidates may refer to https://scholar.google.com/
citations?user=M8JgRAoAAAAJ& hl=en&oi=ao and they are also encouraged to contact
- The applicant should have a good academic record throughout, with at least 60% marks in both B.Sc. (Physics Major/Hons.) and M.Sc. (Physics) examinations from any recognized University or Institute of the country. SC/ST candidates will enjoy a 5% concession in the minimum eligibility of marks.
Age limit: Below 28 years on the date of application.
- The applicant must have either qualified in CSIR-UGC NET(JRF) /GATE /JEST /equivalent national level examination with Research Fellowship allowing entry into PhD or must have the DST-INSPIRE fellowship.
- Online Admission Portal : https://isr.rkmvu.ac.in/admission
- New applicants have to first register on the portal, then login and fill up the online application form.
- After successfully submitting the application form, pay the Application fee (INR 500.00) online from the same Portal.
- While filling up the online application-form attach the scanned copies of your passport size photo, mark-sheets and other applicable certificates/documents.
- Once Application-form is successfully submitted and application-fee is paid, Receipt (also Application-summary) will be available for download from the same Portal from the ‘Dashboard‘.
Number of vacancies:
- Experimental Condensed Matter Physics and Nano-structure Material Sciences: 2
- Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics: 1
- Theoretical High Energy Physics: 2
Applicants with PhD fellowships under CSIR-UGC NET (JRF)/DST-INSPIRE or other Governmental Schemes will be selected on the basis of a rigorous viva-voce examination to be conducted by the Department online.
Note: Only full-time scholars will be admitted for the PhD programme. No application for part-time PhD will therefore be entertained
Last Date to apply: Applications are continuously accepted. They will be reviewed as per the convenience of the faculties.
Fees structure is given on the page: PhD Fee Structure
For the applicants who are selected for admission; admission-procedure is given on this page: Admission Instructions
Note: The applicant needs to complete the admission within 10 days from the date the applicant is informed about “his/her selection” and the admission procedure.
All queries may be sent to our email-id: