Name: Sindhunil Barman Roy
Area of Research: Condensed Matter Physics
Ph. D. (1985): Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India
M.Sc. (Physics)(1980): Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India
B.Sc. (Physics Hons.)(1977): North Eastern Hill University, India
Post Doctoral Research Experience:
- Research Associate at Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India, (1985-1986)
- Research Assistant at Imperial College of Science & Technology, London, UK (1986-1989)
- Research Associate at University of Florida, Gainesville, USA , (1989-1990)
- Research Associate at Imperial College of Science & Technology, London, UK (1990-1991)
Positions held and responsibilities:
- Raja Ramanna Fellow (Department of Atomic Energy, Govt. of India) at UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research, Indore, India, August 2020 onwards.
- Emeritus Professor, UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research, Indore, India, August 2018 – July 2020 .
- Permanent staff member in Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology (RRCAT), Department of Atomic Energy, Govt. of India, Indore, India July, 1992 – February 2018. Last position held: ‘Outstanding Scientist’.
- Professor of Physics, Homi Bhabha National Institute. (2007-2013)
- Senior Professor of Physics, Homi Bhabha National Institute. (2014-2018)
- Director, Materials Science Group, RRCAT, Indore. (2017-2018)
International collaborative research grants:
- Awarded a visiting fellowship from Engineering & Physical Science Research Council (EPSRC), UK for a collaborative research project at Imperial College, London, UK for a period of nine months in 2003.
- Awarded a ‘Royal Society-British Council Joint Project’ with Imperial College on the study of ‘Magneto-structural phase transition in functional magnetic materials’ (2006-2009).
- Guiding postgraduate students (Since becoming a faculty member in HBNI, India in 2007): 4 PhD (completed); 2 MTech (completed)
- Course coordination and teaching of PhD level course to post MSc students.
Other academic activities:
- Reviewer of scientific papers in Physical Review Letters, Physical Review B, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, Journal of Physics: D –Applied Physics, Journal of Applied Physics, New Journal of Physics, Solid State Communications, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Journal of Materials Chemistry, Physica B, Physica Status Solidi, Physics Letters and Superconductor Science & Technology.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Superconductor Science & Technology, published by Institute of Physics, UK, 2008-2014.
- Dean-Academic of Homi Bhabha National Institute at RRCAT, Indore, India, September 2009 – August 2015.
- Member, Board of Studies (Physical Sciences), HBNI, 2015-2017.
Academic visits and lectures abroad:
- Imperial College, London, UK.
- University of Florida, Gainesville
- University of Cambridge, UK
- University of Warwick, UK
- University of Bristol, UK
- University of Southampton, UK.
- Institute of Laue Langevin, Grenoble, France
- Technical University, Vienna
- Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel.
- University of Turku, Finland
Awards and honours:
- Homi Bhabha Science and Technology Award, DAE, Govt. of India (2006)
- Group achievement award for ‘First development of 1.3 GHz Single Cell Superconducting RF cavity’, DAE, Govt. of India (2009)
- Elected Fellow of Institute of Physics (IOP), UK (2014)
- Distinguished Faculty Award, Homi Bhabha National Institute (2015)
- Raja Ramanna Fellowship of DAE, Govt. Of India (2020)
- Listed in Stanford University world rankings of top 2% scientists (2020,2021, 2022) (Published: 3 November 2022, Version 5, DOI: 10.17632/btchxktzyw.5 Contributor: John P.A. Ioannidis)
- In international peer reviewed journals: 225+
- In international peer reviewed conference proceedings: 28 (https://www.webofscience.com/wos/author/record/35028536)
- Mott Insulators: Physics and Applications
Institute of Physics Publishing (IOP), UK, 2019.
- Experimental Techniques in Magnetism and Magnetic Materials
Cambridge University Press, 2023.
- Hydrogen: Physics and Technology (Commissioned by Institute of Physics Publishing (IOP), UK; tentative date 2025)
- Mott Insulators: Physics and Applications
- Book Chapters:
- Handbook of Magnetic Materials: Ed. K. H. J. Buschow, Vol.22, 2014, Elsevier;
- Materials Under Extreme Conditions, Ed. A. K. Tyagi and S. Banerjee, 2017, Elsevier )
- 38 as per Web of Science (https://www.webofscience.com/wos/author/rid/GYU-8318-2022)
- 41 as per Google Scholar (https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=wY9lCqcAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=)
- 41 as per Research Gate
Break up (gross) of publications in international refereed journals:
- Physical Review B – 52
- Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter – 35
- Physica C – 22
- Solid State Communications – 12
- Superconductor Science & Technology – 15
- Journal of Physics-D Applied Physics – 10
- Journal of Applied Physics – 9
- Philosophical Magazine – 9
- Applied Physics Letter – 7
- Journal of Magnetism & Magnetic Materials—8
- Pramana : Journal of Physics – 6
- Journal of Physics: F Metal Physics – 4
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds – 4
- Euro Physics Letters – 3
- European Physical Journal – 3
- Current Science -2
- Physica B – 5
- Acta Materialia – 1
- Applied Superconductivity – 1
- Journal of American Ceramic Society -1
- Journal de Physique -1
- Phase Transitions– 2
- Physical Review Letters – 1
- Physica Status Solidi – 1
- Review of Scientific Instruments –1
- Physical Review: STAB – 1
- Materials Research Bulletin – 1
- New Journal of Physics -1
- Vacuum – 1
- Journal of Low Temperature Physics -1
- Method of qualifying niobium and/or other super conducting materials for reliable fabrication of superconducting radio frequency (SCRF) cavities (United States Patent 08673820, 2014); S B Roy and V C Sahni
- Niobium based superconducting radio frequency(SCRF) cavities comprising niobium components joined by laser welding, method and apparatus for manufacturing such cavities; P. Khare, B. N. Upadahyay, S. B. Roy, C. K. Pithawa, V. C. Sahni, P. D. Gupta and P. Kush (Japan patent no. 5632924, 2014; United States Patent 9352416 B-2, 2016)