Name: Tapan Kumar Nandi
Area of Research: Accelerator based Atomic Physics
Education and Employment:
Faculty (August 2023 – Present): RKMVERI
Scientist-G (July 2013-till superannuation): IUAC, New Delhi, India
Scientist-F (July 2007-June 2013): IUAC, New Delhi, India
Scientist-E (July 2001-June 2007): IUAC, New Delhi, India
Scientist-D (July 1996-June 2001): IUAC, New Delhi, India
Post Doctoral Research (August 1994 – June 1996): TIFR, Mumbai, India
Ph. D. (1993): TIFR(Mumbai)/Utkal University (IOP), India
Diploma in Advance Physics (1987): Institute of Physics (IOP), India
M.Sc. (Physics with few body dynamics as special paper)(1985): Visva Bharati University, India
B.Sc. (Physics as major, Chemistry and mathematics)(1982): Burdwan University, India
Some significant Publications
- T. Nandi*, Formation of the circular Rydberg states in ion-solid collisions. Astrophys. J. Lett., 673, L103 (2008)
- T. Nandi*, Collision induced intra-shelll transitions in He-like ions, J. Phys. B (FTC) 42, 061002 (2009).
T. Nandi*, Experimental confirmation of circular Rydberg states with projectile-like ions, J. Phys. B. 42, 125201(2009).
- T. Nandi* and B.P. Mahanty, Measurement of wake field intensity, J. Phys. B. 42, 225402(2009).
T. Nandi*, A.P. Mishra & B.N. Jagatap, JQSRT 112, 2771 (2011)
T. Nandi*, Mumtaz Oswal, Sunil Kumar, Akhil Jhingan, S.R. Abhilash, and S. Karmakar, Radiative resonant energy transfer, JQSRT(Lett), 113, 783 (2012).
T Nandi* et al., Fast Ion Surface Energy Loss and Straggling in the Surface Wake Fields, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110,163203 (2013).
Ranjeet K. Karn, C. N. Mishra, Nissar Ahmad, S. K. Saini, C. P. Safvan, and T Nandi*, Note: Multi channel Doppler tuned spectrometer to study highly charged ions, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 85, 066110 (2014).
- Prashant Sharma and T Nandi*, Theoretical studies on shaking processes in nuclear transfer reactions, Nuclear Physics A 941 (2015) 265–272.
- P. Sharma and T. Nandi*, X-ray spectroscopy: An experimental technique to measure charge state distribution during ion–solid interaction, Phys. Lett. A 380, 182–187 (2016).
- Prashant Sharma and T Nandi*, Experimental evidence of beam-foil plasma creation during ion-solid interaction, Physics of Plasma 23, 083102 (2016).
- Gaurav Sharma, K.Haris, G.Singh, B.Kumar, S.Karmakar, N.K.Puri, Adya P.Mishra, Pravin Kumar, and T.Nandi*, Signature of triply excited Li-like V states in ion-solid collisions, Phys. Lett. A 380 (2016) 3640.
- Prashant Sharma and T. Nandi*, (2017) Shakeoff ionization near the barrier energies, Physical Review Letters 119, 203401.
- Gaurav Sharma, Nitin K. Puri, Pravin Kumar and T. Nandi*, (2017), Evidence of circular Rydberg states in beam-foil experiments: Role of the surface wake field, Euro Physics Letters 120, 63002.
- Swami DK, Nandi* T. Present status of theoretical understanding of charge changing processes at low beam energies. Radiation Physics and Chemistry. 2018 Dec 1;153:120-30.
- Gaurav Sharma, Nitin K. Puri, Pravin Kumar and T. Nandi*, (2017), Evidence of circular Rydberg states in beam-foil experiments: Role of the surface wake field, Euro Physics Letters 120, 63002. Impact factor: 1.957
- Gaurav Sharma, Nitin K. Puri, Pravin Kumar, and T. Nandi*, (2018), Employing x-ray absorption technique for better detector resolution and measurement of low cross section events. Nucl. Instru. Meths. B 419, 14.
- P. Sharma and T. Nandi*, (2019), Disentanglement of bulk and exit surface eﬀect on projectile charge state using x-ray spectroscopy technique, Physical Review Accelerators and Beams, 22, 034501.
- H. C Manjunatha, N. Sowmya, N. Manjunatha, P. S. Damodara Gupta, L. Seenappa, K. N. Sridhar, Ganesh T, T. Nandi*. Entrance channel dependent hot fusion reactions for superheavy element synthesis, Physical Review C 102, 064605 (2020).
- Kumar S, Sharma J, Sharma S, Mathur Y, Nandi T, Sharma D, Kashyap MK. Observations of parametric drift wave instabilities in an electron cyclotron resonance ion source. Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion. 2020 Aug 21;62(10):105013.
- Oswal M, Kumar S, Singh U, Singh S, Singh G, Singh KP, Mehta D, Mendez AM, Mitnik DM, Montanari CC, Mitra D and Nandi* T. Experimental and theoretical L-shell ionizationcross sections of heavy atoms by impact of Si ions. Radiation Physics and Chemistry. 2020 Nov 1;176:108809.
- Gajendra Singh, A K Singh and T Nandi* “Revised and extended calculations with relativistic and QED corrections of selected He-like 3d-elemental ions having astrophysical significance”. Radiation Physics and Chemistry 172 (2020) 108866.
- H. C. Manjunatha, L. Seenappa, P. S. Damodara Gupta, N. Manjunatha, K. N. Sridhar, N. Sowmya, T. Nandi*, Quasifission and fusion-fission lifetime studies for superheavy element Z = 120, Physical Review C 103, 024311 (2021).
- Soumya Chatterjee, Prashant Sharma, Shashank Singh, Mumtaz Oswal, Sunil Kumar, CC Montanari, D Mitra, and T Nandi*. Significance of the high charge state of projectile ions inside the target and its role in electron capture leading to target-ionization phenomena. Physical Review A, 104, page 022810. APS, 2021.
- H C Manjunatha, Y S Vidya, P S Damodara Gupta, N Manjunatha, N Sowmya, L Seenappa, and T Nandi*, Rules of thumb for synthesizing superheavy elements, J. Phys. G: Nucl. Part. Phys. 49 (2022) 125101.
- N. Sowmya, P. S. Damodara Gupta, H. C. Manjunatha, and T. Nandi*, Accurate estimation of the neutron and fission decay widths for hot fusion reactions, Physical Review C, PHYSICAL REVIEW C 105, 044605 (2022).
- S.Chatterjee, Sunil Kumar, Sarvesh Kumar, M. Oswal, B. Mohanty, D. Mehta, D. Mitra, A. Mendez, D. Mitnik, C. Montanari, et al., Physica Scripta 97, 045405 (2022)
- H.C. Manjunatha , N. Sowmya , P.S.Damodara Gupta, L. Seenappa and T. Nandi*, Role of optimal beam energies in the heavy ion fusion reaction, The European Physical Journal Plus, (2022) 137:693.
- T. Nandi*, D.K. Swami, P.S. Damodara Gupta, Yash Kumar, S. Chakraborty, and H.C. Manjunatha, Search for a viable nucleus-nucleus potential for heavy-ion nuclear reactions Pramana – J. Phys .(2022) 96:84.
- Chatterjee, S., Kumar, S., Kumar, S., Oswal, M., Mohanty, B., Mehta, D., Mitra, D., Mendez, A.M.P., Mitnik, D.M., Montanari, C.C., Sarkadi, L., Nandi*. T, Understanding the mechanisms of L-shell x-ray emission from Os atoms bombarded by 4–6 MeV/u fluorine ion. Physica Scripta, 97, 045405 (2022).
- Gajendra Singh, A K Singh and T Nandi*. “Relativistic atomic structure calcu- lations and evaluation of plasma parameters in Be-like ions for its possible use in laboratory plasma diagnostic studies.” Eur. Phys. J. D, 76 4 (2022) 62.
- Nandi* T, Manjunatha HC, Gupta PD, Sowmya N, Manjunatha N, Sridhara KN, Seenappa L. On the time-scale of quasifission and Coulomb fission. Pramana. 2022 Dec 10;96(4):230.
- Shashank Singh, Mumtaz Oswal, Sunil Kumar, K.P. Singh, D. Mitra, and T. Nandi*. K-shell ionization cross sections of Cu, Zn and Ge by 3–5 MeV/u Si-ion bombardment. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, volume 512, 21–27, 2022.
- Shashank Singh, Soumya Chatterjee, D. Mitra, and T. Nandi*. Evaluation of accurate uncertainty of measurement of l subshell ionization cross-sections. Measurement, volume 187, page 110322, 2022.
- H C Manjunatha, P S Damodara Gupta, N Sowmya, N Manjunatha, K N Sridhar, L Seenappa and T Nandi*, Survival probability of compound nuclei in heavy-ion fusion reaction, J. Phys. G: Nucl. Part. Phys. 50 (2023) 035101 (21pp).
Papers under review:
- H.C.Manjunatha, N.Sowmya, P.S.Damodara Gupta, N.Manjunatha, and T.Nandi*, Possibility of discovering the super-heavy elements Z=119 and 120, Phys.Rev.C Letters 2023.
- P.S.Damodara Gupta, H.C.Manjunatha, N.Sowmya, Srinivas R.Kulakarni, L.Seenappa, K.N.Sridhar, T.Ganesh and T.Nandi Significance of hexadecapole deformation of target nucleus on heavy-ion fusion, Annals of Physics 2023.
- T. Nandi*, Soumya Chatterjee, K.Haris, Gajendra Singh, H.C. Manjunatha, N. Sowmya, P.S. Damodara Gupta, D. Mitra, and L. Natarajan, Two-electron one-photon process: A Doppler free phenomenon, Phys. Rev.A 2023.
- C V Ahmad, R Gupta, K Chakraborty, D K Swami, P Verma, T Nandi*, Absolute photo-peak efficiency of silicon drift detectors, Applied Radiation and Isotopes 2023.
- Manpreet Kaur and T. Nandi*, Understanding the electron capture mechanisms during heavy ion collisions, Phys. Rev. A Letters 2023.
- T. Nandi*, Soumya Chatterjee, D. Mitra, Adya P Mishra, Y. Azuma, F. Koike and A.S. Kheifets, Zeptosecond dynamics in atoms, Atoms 2023.
Papers under preparation:
- Shashank Singh, A.S. Jha, K. Haris, Mumtaz Oswal, K. P. Singh and T. Nandi*, Study of two-electron one-photon transition produced in collision of Ne6+ ions with Al target at low energies, for Phys.Rev.A 2023.
- T. Nandi*, Soumya Chatterjee, Prashant Sharma and D. Mitra, Advancing the heavy ion accelerator technology, for Appl.Phys. Letters 2023.
- T. Nandi*, Yash Kumar, Adya P. Mishra, Prashant Sharma, Nishchal R. Dwivedi, Gajendra Singh, D. Mitra, Sudhir R. Jain, and A.S. Kheifets, Crossover between the zeptosecond and attosecond physics, Phys. Rev. C 2023.
- T. Nandi* and S. Kumar, Advancing the heavy ion accelerator technology, Applied Physics Letters 2023.
Patent under preparation:
- T. Nandi* and S. Kumar, Novel hybrid stripper for heavy-ion accelerator technology.
- Boosting the heavy-ion accelerator technology using a hybrid stripper i.e., solid and plasma target.
- Resolving the fission time scale anomaly between nuclear and x-ray fluorescence measurements.
- Investigating new dimensions of Surface Energy Loss Field of the fast heavy-ions.
- Role of higher charge state inside the solid in the material modification by heavy-ion beams.
- Experimental evidence of bare ions formed from nuclear reactions: its possible roles on astrophysics.
- WIMPS detection